How to Get a Suspended License Reinstated

Living without driving privileges is possible, but it’s not always easy. Sure, you can use public transportation, bike, or call a ridesharing service, but often those options can be limiting. If you’re feeling frustrated about not having your license, it may be time to think about how you can get your driving privileges back.

Depending on whether your license was suspended or revoked, the reinstatement process will look different. Here is an overview of each process:

woman driving Reinstating Your License After Suspension

The process of reinstating your license after getting a suspension will depend on the reason that you received the suspension. If you lost your license because you didn’t pay a ticket or appear in court when required, you will need to:

  • Contact the courts and pay any penalties outstanding
  • Get a court clearance receipt or Court Abstract form
  • Bring those forms to a Motor Vehicle Division driver’s license office or apply online
  • Pay the reinstatement and application fees

If your license was suspended for another reason, including a DUI conviction, refusal or failure to take part in drug or alcohol testing, or violating insurance laws for your vehicle, you will need to do the following:

  • Get proof of financial responsibility
  • Apply at the MVD driver’s license office or online
  • Pay reinstatement and application fees

Reinstating Your License After Revocation

If your license is revoked, there is a different process for getting it reinstated:

  1. Wait until your revocation period has ended
  2. Complete an investigation packet that will be reviewed
  3. Wait for a Permission to Reapply notice
  4. Follow instructions for reapplying included with the notice
  5. If your revocation involves drugs or alcohol, get proof of future financial responsibility
  6. Bring proof of responsibility and your Permission to Reapply notice to an MVD driver’s license office
  7. Fill out application
  8. Pay reinstatement and application fees
  9. If an ignition interlock device is required, complete required actions on your record by contacting MVD and provide proof of installation

If you have lost your driving privileges, the best way to get them back is to follow the instructions of the court and the Motor Vehicle Division to a T. Be careful to complete all necessary steps in full and get legal help if needed. Contact a criminal defense attorney to fight for your driving privileges.

The Nolan Law Firm