Do You Qualify for a Special Restricted Driver’s License?

Some individuals who receive an Arizona conviction for driving under the influence may be eligible for a special ignition interlock restricted driver’s license. The SIIRDL program requires the installation of an ignition interlock device and the completion of other aspects of the person’s sentence.

Explore whether you qualify for the SIIRDL program after license suspension in Arizona.

vehicle interior

Eligibility requirements

Before applying for an SIIRDL, you must:

  • Pay all outstanding fees to the state Motor Vehicle Division.
  • Verify eligibility with the MVD.
  • Submit proof of current auto insurance or financial responsibility to the MVD.
  • Complete the required substance abuse treatment program.
  • Verify installation of an ignition interlock device on your vehicle.
  • Be free of other pending charges that carry driver’s license suspension.

Rules and restrictions

If Arizona approves your SIIRDL, you can only drive to and from school and work. You can also travel to medical appointments, scheduled appointments with a probation officer, and the approved ignition interlock facility. If you have a minor child, you may also travel for the purpose of shared parenting time and to take your child to school, work, or a medical appointment.

After installation of an ignition interlock device in your vehicle, you must have the device serviced and calibrated at an approved facility every 77 to 90 days. Failure to abide by the restrictions of an SIIRDL will result in the cancellation of your restricted license.

Driver’s license reinstatement

When your license suspension expires, the SIIRDL also expires. You must take steps to reinstate your normal driving privileges, including:

  • Payment of all outstanding MVD fees
  • Continued use of an ignition interlock device
  • Resubmission of proof of auto insurance or financial responsibility
  • Submission of a revocation application to the MVD, which must include written consent from the court where you received the DUI conviction and from an approved substance abuse evaluator

You must also be free of traffic violations for the past 12 months. If you are currently serving a license suspension, you can apply for an SIIRDL online or at your local MVD.

The Nolan Law Firm